Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Untitled



Its 14 minutes after midnight and I’m trying to figure out what to put finger to keyboard. To be honest with you, I just don't know and that may be the beauty about this posting; its a stream of my thoughts after the stroke of midnight.
  1. There is something therapeutic about being away from loved ones. You miss them, but you can use this time to take a look at yourself without anyone else’s input and work on being a better man. My goal after this next grueling year is to come out better than who I was.
  2. Despite isolation, friendships away from work are key. No matter what you gauge who the supporters are and those who will say hello when they feel like it. This goes back to my postulates about the chasm between servicemembers and the society/country they serve. Our experiences can only be shared by 1% of the population. 
  3. Trees are amazing. I haven't seen one in 8 weeks and can’t wait until the spring when I land back in sunny southern California and see trees, a sunset, water, and breathe clean air. More than 6 hours of sleep would be nice as well.
  4. When I lived in DC I never grew tired about my commute in or any of the monuments. At the end of the day, DC is gorgeous. I miss the city, the Church community, and the experience to learn and work with some of the smartest minds the world has.
  5. There are two albums that I frequent when I write to you, one is from Bon Iver and the other is from a band called A Sunny Day in Glasgow. Im not pitching for bands here, just telling you what calms my mind at the end of mentally draining days.
  6. One day I’ll have to write about sirens, 107mm explosives, and carbombs. Its amazing how humans deal with the dangers of combat. Sometimes, you just don't...
  7. This is the first time I have been deployed and not been focused on killing. The change in mindset at times is unsettling.
  8. The coalition of multinational partners is amazing. I’ll write about that on another day too. No matter what country you are from, the profession of arms comes together to see young men carried on to airplanes  no matter what country flag is draped over his coffin.
  9. A woman’s touch is amazing as her lips and the smell of her hair.
  10. Reading the Economist off the Kindle isn't too bad after all. 
I’m going to stop now, I don't know why, but I am. This was good, it gives context- I’m not depressed, sad, or remorseful. This is reflection, and every once in a while its ok to stop and think......
I said I wasn't going to post a picture, but I will. This is sent from a friend back home. I miss you City of Angels.

No comments:

Post a Comment